GENERAL DESCRIPTION: EP7717 is a latex paste which is most commonly used to make thin flexible rubber molds for casting plaster, wax, cement, polyester resin, epoxies or polyurethane materials. It is a one-component paste that can be used directly as it comes in the can. No curing agent or mixing is required. Molds are made by painting a thin layer of EP7717 over a prepared model, then allowing it to dry thoroughly. Since each layer is thin, multiple coats must be applied. When the latex skin is thick enough, it is usually backed up with a shell or mother-mold of plaster or fiberglass for support. EP7717, when used in this manner, produces skin molds that are very tough and flexible while at the same time are very stretchy and tear resistant. These characteristics allow the latex to strip off of complicated models and extreme undercuts. In general, latex is best suited for artistic endeavors where organic or figurative shapes are being duplicated. Most casting compounds are adhesive, therefore a good release, such as EaseRelease200, is generally required.
DO NOT FREEZE!
EP7717 Latex has the following advantages:
(1) Low cost. EP7717 is the least expensive flexible mold-making compound.
(2) Easy to use. No weighing or mixing of ingredients.
(3) Economical. No equipment needed, just a brush.
(4) Easiest to learn. Brush on a layer, let dry, then repeat as needed.
(5) Longevity. With periodic use, EP7717 molds will last for decades. For this kind of mold life, molds should be heat cured for one hour at 200°F in either boiling water or dry heat. Always store the mold with the last casting in the mold and the mother-mold in place.
(6) Reinforcement. Molds can be strengthened with cheese cloth or burlap saturated with EP7717 and applied to high stress areas of the mold. These areas should be recoated with more layers of EP7717 to smooth the surface. Sawdust can also be mixed into EP7717 for thicker layers.
(7) High solids, 65%, means more latex, less water, and fewer layers.
(8) Can be thickened with saw-dust, burlap or Cab-o-Sil. Best if have built-up several layers first.
(9) Can be thinned with a distilled water-ammonia solution. Try 1 tsp ammonia/gal water for starters.
(10) Safe: EP7717 consists of natural latex, water and traces of ammonia.
EP7717 Latex is available in the following sizes:
Quart cans 2 lb
Gallon cans 8 lb
5 Gallon pails 40 lb
55 Gallon drums 483 lb
Also available is our two-video set that covers complete latex mold-making practices.
Disclaimer: This information is based on sources that we believe to be accurate. It is offered in good faith, but without guarantee, since conditions of use are beyond control. All risk of use are assumed by the user.
LATEX IS WATER BASED. DO NOT ALLOW IT TO FREEZE OR IT WILL BE RUINED!!